Group of the Year Awards
Begun in 1999, the Group of the Year Awards, or GOTYAs, recognize and reward Local Groups' membership-related activities and for their active participation in all that Mensa has to offer. Accordingly, the GOTYA Program awards points for participation in Mensa rather than winning other Mensa awards. It is a competitive program open to all American Mensa, Ltd., Local Groups.
Points are earned for a variety of activities and accomplishments, earned by the group as a whole, including participation in Mind Games®, CultureQuest®, Mensa Testing Day and Leadership Development Workshops.
The primary purposes of the GOTYA Program are to:
- Recognize and reward Local Groups for their accomplishments in fostering participation;
- Challenge and inspire LocSecs and ExComms, Local Membership Officers, Editors, Proctors, RG Chairs and members at large to behave in ways that serve their local membership; and
- Encourage activities that promote positive, fun and intellectual experiences for our members, with an eye toward fostering healthy groups and resulting in recruitment and retention of members.
The group size classifications for GOTYA are:
- Class V (small size): below 100 members
- Class IV (medium size): 100 to 199 members
- Class III (intermediate size): 200 to 399 members
- Class II (large size): 400 to 899 members
- Class I (jumbo size): 900+ members