Teen Special Interest Group
TeenSIG is a Mensa Special Interest Group focused on community service and volunteerism for Young Mensans ages 13-17. Through participation in TeenSIG, YM’s can share their community service ideas, successes, and suggestions; promote their fellow YM volunteers; and be rewarded for the work they’re doing to make their communities better and stronger.
Mensa became a certifying organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Award in 2019, and members of TeenSIG will be the first Mensans eligible to qualify for participation in this partnership.
To qualify for PVSA recognition, you must be a current member of Mensa between the ages of 13 and 17 with no lapse in your membership during the years in which you apply and become eligible for an award.
|Hours Required to Earn Awards in Each Age Group|
|13-15||50-74 hours||75-99 hours||100+ hours|
|16-17||100-174 hours||175-249 hours||250+ hours|
|Volunteer hours submitted for Mensa Honor Society recognition may also be used for PVSA recognition.|
Awards and Recognition
The timeline for applicable volunteer hours is from Jan. 1 – Dec. 31. For example, certified and approved volunteer hours completed between Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2020, are eligible for 2021 award consideration.
To be considered for a President’s Volunteer Service Award, TeenSIG members must submit a PVSA Service Report Form containing all certified volunteer hours to GiftedProgram@americanmensa.org by 11:59 p.m., Central time, on Jan. 31.
You’ll be notified in early March if you receive a President’s Volunteer Service Award.
Eligible Volunteer Hours
If you have questions about a community service opportunity, please contact the TeenSIG Coordinator at GiftedProgram@americanmensa.org.
To bestow Presidential recognition on the contributions of America’s dedicated volunteers, the program is entrusted with upholding the White House’s award criteria. These requirements have been clarified to help participating organizations better understand their role in determining which volunteers are eligible for the President’s Volunteer Service Award, and they are set forth below.
- One organization cannot sign off on volunteer hours completed for or through another organization. (So, your food bank person cannot sign off on your library hours.)
- For scout troops: The volunteer hours performed were a scout-sanctioned, organized volunteer, or community service event that required members to wear their scout uniform to perform the duties listed.
- Recipients must be a United States citizen or be a lawful permanent resident.
- Awards are issued for service hours performed within a 12-month time period (Bronze, Silver, Gold).
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only; additional levels of participation with the organization (e.g., charitable support, etc.) cannot be a factor for the award.
- Court-ordered community service cannot be counted toward hours for an award.
- Awards are issued by approved Certifying or Leadership Organizations.
- Volunteer service must be performed through or facilitated by an entity legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or one of the U.S. territories.
- Certifying organizations have the discretion to decide which hours can be counted toward an award.
- Volunteer service must not have been compensated through any means (wage, salary, stipend, etc.).
Submitting a PVSA Application
When you’re ready, fill out the PVSA Service Report Form detailing your volunteer hours. You may have to fill out multiple forms if your volunteer hours were completed through multiple organizations. Make sure all information is complete and the form has been verified and signed.
After your volunteer information has been submitted for the calendar year, the information will be vetted and reviewed to ensure the program’s criteria were followed. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
Email your completed forms to GiftedProgram@americanmensa.org.
If you have any questions about TeenSIG or the President’s Volunteer Service Award, volunteer hour eligibility, how to fill out the application, or any other inquiry, please contact GiftedProgram@americanmensa.org.