Last Updated/Effective Date: Jan. 25, 2023
American Mensa, Ltd. (“American Mensa,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) respects your privacy. This Privacy Notice describes how we process Personal Information (defined below) that we collect via the sites, applications, social media pages, or other platforms that link to it (collectively, the “Site”), or that is otherwise provided to, or collected by, us in connection with the services we offer (our “Services”).
1. Personal Information We Collect
We may collect a range of Personal Information. “Personal Information” means information that uniquely identifies, relates to, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated with or linked to you.
The types of Personal Information we collect may include:
- Contact Information – If you submit an inquiry, create an account, or provide information on our Site, we may collect your contact information. This may include your name, email address, demographic information, educational records, and phone number.
- Financial Information – If you make any donations through our Site, we will collect your financial information, including your name and payment information.
- Location Data – While navigating our Site, your mobile device or browser may share your location data, both through WiFi and GPS.
- Usage Information – When you use our Site, our servers may automatically record information, including your IP address, browser type, referring URLs (e.g., the site you visited before coming to our Site), domain names associated with your internet service provider, and information on your interaction with the Site.
- Employment Information – If you apply for employment with us, we will collect your employment and work history, as well as other Personal Information related to your application. This may include your education and employment history, address and contact information, demographic information, and any other information included in your resume or application.
- Communication Information – We may collect audio, electronic, or visual information, which includes screen sharing views, any data in any files uploaded, emailed or otherwise provided by customers; the contents of your communications with us, whether via e-mail, social media, telephone or otherwise, and inferences we may make from other Personal Information we collect.
- Member and Candidates Information in Connection with Our Services – We may collect Personal Information about our current and perspective members and candidates, which includes date of birth, age, test and assessment scores.
2. How We Collect Your Personal Information
- We May Collect Your Personal Information Directly From You – For example, if you create anaccount on the Site, request information regarding our Services.
- We May Also Collect Personal Information From Third Parties – We may obtain Personal Information about you, including educational records, background checks, information from the National Change of Address, and other information from various third-party sources, including but not limited to such as the National Student Clearinghouse, BrightKey, and educational institutions. We may also work with business partners, subcontractors, advertising networks, analytics providers, and search information providers, who may provide us with Personal Information about you.
- We utilize the following types of cookies:
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are fundamental to the functionality of the Site. These cookies are essential.
This type of cookie collects information on how people use the Site, to enable us to improve how the site operates. For example, Google Analytics cookies help us understand how customers arrive at the Site, browse or use the Site and highlight areas where we can improve areas such as navigation, shopping experience and marketing campaigns.
These cookies may remember the operations such as your preference so that we can provide you with better services and improve our operation models.
Targeting Cookies or Advertising Cookies
These cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising more personalized to you. These cookies may remember the websites you have visited and share them with the third parties, such as advertisers.
Social networking cookies
These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content on our websites and services through third-party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes.
Most browsers provide you with the ability to block, delete, or disable cookies, and your mobile device may allow you to disable transmission of unique identifiers and location data. If you choose to reject cookies or block device identifiers, some features of the Site may not be available, or some functionality may be limited or unavailable. Please review the help pages of your browser or mobile device for assistance with changing your settings.
We do not respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals sent to us by your browser at this time. To learn more about how DNT works, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
- Through Analytics – We use analytics services, including Google Analytics, to assist us with analyzing our website traffic through cookies and similar technologies. For more information on Google Analytics’ processing of your Personal Information, please see https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites?hl=en-US. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
3. How We Use Personal Information
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may use Personal Information to:
- operate the Site and provide support to our business functions;
- fulfill member requests, such as to create an account;
- protect against criminal activity, claims and other liabilities;
- send you information about our organization, services, and promotions;
- respond to reviews, comments, or other feedback provided to us;
- support and personalize the Site and our advertising efforts;
- protect the security and integrity of the Site;
- provide customer support;
- the extent required for benchmarking, data analysis, audits, developing new products, enhancing the Site, facilitating product, software and applications development, improving the Site or our services, conducting research, analysis, studies or surveys, identifying usage trends, as well as for other analytics purposes;
- meet our contractual requirements;
- comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements and our policies;
- respond to inquiries related to employment opportunities;
- market, advertise, and provide the Site and our services; and
- the extent necessary for any other lawful purpose for which the Personal Information is collected.
4. Sharing of Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- In the Case of a Merger or Sale – If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of transfer or sale of some or all of its business, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding. Personal Information may be transferred along with the business. Where legally required we will give you prior notice and if you have a legal right to do so, an opportunity to object to this transfer.
- To Service Providers – When we hire a service provider to help operate the Site or our business, we may give access to Personal Information as necessary to perform services on our behalf. This may include service providers that operate our Site, send our communications, or run our promotions.
- To Business Partners – We may share Personal Information with our trusted business partners. For example, we may share your Personal Information, such as your test scores when authorized, to our appropriate business partners.
5. How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it has been collected, as outlined in this Privacy Notice, as described in our records retention schedule, or any longer retention period required by law.
6. How We Protect Your Personal Information
We use our commercially reasonable efforts to protect the confidentiality and security of Personal Information we process. However, despite these efforts to store Personal Information in a secure operating environment, we cannot guarantee the security of Personal Information during its transmission or its storage on our systems. Further, while we attempt to ensure the integrity and security of Personal Information, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third parties such as hackers from illegally obtaining access to Personal Information.
7. Your Choices and Controls
Depending on where you live, you may have the right to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. To opt-out of marketing communications please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by following the instructions included in the email or text correspondence.
Please note that, even if you unsubscribe from certain correspondence, we may still need to contact you with important transactional or administrative information, as permitted by law. Additionally, if you withdraw your consent or object to processing, or if you choose not to provide certain Personal Information, we may be unable to provide some or all of our services to you.
8. International Use of the Site
This Site is hosted in the United States. If you are visiting this Site from outside of the United States, please note that your Personal Information is being transferred to, stored, collected, or processed in the United States.
9. Children’s Privacy
We may allow children, under the age of 13, to create an account, or otherwise engage with us overtime. type of Personal Information that we may collect is listed above in Section 1. We will obtain parental consent prior to the collection of their Personal Information, when required by law.
10. Links to Third-Party Websites
We are not responsible for the practices employed by any websites or services linked to or from the Site, including the information or content contained within them. We encourage you to investigate and ask questions before disclosing Personal Information to third parties, since any Personal Information disclosed will be subject to the applicable third party’s Privacy Notice.
11. Your Privacy Rights
Depending on where you live, you may have certain privacy rights:
- Notice - The right to be notified of what categories of Personal Information will be collected at or before the point of collection and the purposes for which they will be used and shared.
- Access - The right to request the categories of Personal Information that we collected in the previous twelve (12) months, the categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected, the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you, and the business purposes for which such Personal Information is collected and shared. You may also have the right to request the categories of Personal Information which were disclosed for business purposes, and the categories of third parties in the twelve (12) months preceding your request for your Personal Information.
- Data Portability - The right to receive the Personal Information you have previously provided to us.
- Erasure (deletion) - The right to have your Personal Information deleted. However, please be aware that we may not fulfill your request for deletion if we (or our service provider(s)) are required or permitted to retain your Personal Information for one or more of the following categories of purposes: (1) to complete a transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or complete a contract between us and you; (2) to ensure our website integrity, security, and functionality; (3) to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law (including free speech rights); or (4) to otherwise use your Personal Information internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided it.
- Correction - You have the right to request that we correct any incorrect personal information that we collect or retain about you, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see below), we will correct (and direct any of our service providers that hold your data on our behalf to correct) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. We may deny your correction request if (a) we believe the personal information we maintain about you is accurate; (b) correcting the information would be impossible or involve disproportionate effort; or (c) if the request conflicts with our legal obligations.
- Opt Out of Sales of Personal Information - We do not sell or share your Personal Information. However, if we did, you would have the right to opt out of the sale or sharing of your Personal Information.
To exercise any applicable rights that may be available to you, please email us at email@example.com.
Verification: We must verify your identity before fulfilling your requests. If we cannot initially verify your identity, we may request additional information to complete the verification process. We will only use Personal Information provided in a request to verify the requestor’s identity.
We endeavor to respond to requests within the time period required by applicable law. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by telephone, mail or electronically, at your option.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We may deny certain requests, or only fulfill some in part, as permitted or required by law. For example, if you request to delete Personal Information, we may retain Personal Information that we need to retain for legal purposes
Appeals: If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your request and would like to submit an appeal, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may modify or update this Privacy Notice from time to time, so please review it periodically. We may provide you with an updated Privacy Notice if material changes are made. Unless otherwise indicated, any changes to this Privacy Notice will apply immediately upon posting to the Site.
13. Contact Us
If you have any questions about our practices or this Privacy Notice, please contact us at email@example.com. You may also write to us at:
American Mensa LTD.
1315 Brookside Drive
Hurst, Texas 76053